Teaching Practice: Phase 1: Day 9

I engaged four classes today,  two each for 8E and 9F students. Of these two were substitution periods. During the first hour , in 8E, I dictated notes for the pupils based on the poem "The Shower". On the third period, I started with the next prose lesson " The Nightingale and the Rose". My fellow teacher trainee, Gayathri Mahima, came to my class for peer observation. She later told me that I am adequately audible while teaching but that I needed to raise my voice a bit more while reading the text. Since the projector was not working as usual, I had to show images and word meanings using laptop itself,  which was really inconvenient. 

I took the grammar portion 'Prepositions' in 9F class, using direct instruction model. I chose that topic because the pupils have to study the same, as a part of their lesson 'The Jungle Air Crash'. I started off with a few sentences from the lesson itself and asked the learners to identify the prepositions. I gave explanations regarding the same, definition of preposition, examples and functions. Then I moved on to different textual exercises related to it and made the pupils work them out. I understood that the learners do not have a strong base in English grammar and that most of them were simply guessing the answers regarding grammatical categories of words following prepositions in different sentences.  So I had to brief about noun, noun phrases and adjectives too. Due to time constraints, I could only give a superficial understanding of these topics. I hope to delve deep into each of these categories later. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Jolly Hollies 2022

Poster Making Competition in association with World Human Rights Day.

Teaching Practice Phase 2: Day 36